As a business owner nowadays, with all the exciting tools available at your disposal, it is easy to get caught up in the latest trends. However, just because they’re fresh on the scene doesn’t mean they won’t work long-term.
Instead of being close-minded, you should always assess the idea behind the platform, app, system, etc. before making any decisions that you may regret later down the road.
That’s why, in today’s blog post, we’re going to run through and answer the question ‘how effective is SMS marketing?’, to see whether small businesses, medium-sized companies, and large enterprises are still missing a trick in today’s digital landscape. Carry on reading to learn more!
A Brief Summary of What SMS Marketing is
In relation to what SMS marketing is, or short messaging service marketing in full, this is the practice of sending text messages to customers' mobile phones to promote products, services, or offers. Essentially, It's a direct and concise way to reach and engage a targeted audience, whether that be with promotional or informational intent.
To implement mobile marketing, businesses like yourselves often use platforms or software—that can be recommended to you by professionals—to manage your subscriber lists, schedule messages, and track campaign performance.
However, it's important to use SMS marketing responsibly when communicating with your customers by getting the recipient's consent to receive messages before sending them illegally.
Additionally, not only is this another digital marketing channel for you to promote your products, but it is also an exclusive platform for your customers to feel more closely connected to your company.
Pros and Cons of SMS Marketing
Having a clear, concise explanation of what SMS marketing is should now give you the knowledge you need to understand why this tool is being considered by mass companies in online marketing.
Yet, many can overcomplicate the elements that come with implementing an SMS marketing strategy, so here, we’re going to give you a breakdown of the pros and cons of SMS marketing and give you some key statements that you can expect if you were to try this out:
Pros of SMS Marketing
Firstly, we’re going to uncover the advantages that SMS marketing brings to the table. In the world of modern communication strategies, SMS marketing stands out as a powerful tool that can offer a unique service. Let’s take a deeper look at the benefits:
- Wi-Fi is not required: Like emails and other digital marketing tools, your consumers will often need the internet to see your ads or messages. However, with SMS marketing, they won’t need Wi-Fi to read your text message marketing.
- Almost guaranteed open rate: With today’s society always having their mobile devices at their fingertips, a text message will always pop up as a notification immediately on their lock screen, making for a higher chance of response rate.
- No fancy work, just straight to the point: With there being no design features—as it is just a text message—you have the right to briefly summarise your product in 160 characters or less and send it to your audience with customised intent.
- Simple to navigate: Often, certain marketing platforms take multiple clicks to get to the destination you want your potential customers to get to. Yet, with SMS marketing messages, the immediacy and simplicity of them make it straightforward for your audience to purchase.
- Customers can opt in or opt out as they please: Often, some marketing channels can feel restrictive and complicated, making it difficult to stop receiving marketing promotions. However, if you correctly format your texts, this will never be an issue.
- Cost-effective: Because you only send texts, you will only have to pay for the SMS service that allows you to send marketing campaigns to your target audience.
Cons of SMS Marketing
With the good comes the bad, because no marketing platform is perfect. However, once you’re conscious of these disadvantages, you’ll be aware of how to avoid them as much as you can if you decide to move forward with this marketing channel:
- Not a lot of room to work with: 160 characters is the limit for your SMS message to your audience, and sometimes it may feel as though you don’t have enough time to get your point across.
- Creativity is limited: With only text, your sales and marketing teams have no opportunities to show their creativity. It is simply sending messages to your target audience with the intent that they’ll make the decision to purchase your product.
- Can be seen as spam: Due to the mass marketing media, spam is a common occurrence, and people will unfortunately sometimes see your text message as spam if you don’t deliver it correctly.
How Effective is SMS Marketing For Businesses Today?
In relation to how effective is SMS marketing today, it still remains highly effective due to its unparalleled open rates, immediate reach, and personalised engagement. It's a direct communication channel that efficiently connects your business with customers, making it an invaluable tool for promoting offers you’re pushing.
Although there are plenty of other social media marketing channels available, we would recommend that you try SMS marketing for your business. Since becoming prevalent in 2003, it has stood the test of time and continues to drive additional revenue for businesses in all industries around the world.
Within 15 minutes of arrival, you will receive up to a 97% open rate on your text message marketing campaign. No other marketing channel can achieve the same results, period. However, to maximise your chances of making the all-important sale, you must provide meaningful, human-like SMS messages.
Regardless of the marketing channels you use, you should always look to diversify. You should never reject the chance to potentially add another stream of income through your marketing efforts.
We believe that in order to obtain the most effective results with SMS marketing, you should use it in tandem with email marketing. This way, you can benefit from not only the creativity, no character limits, and design options of email marketing, but you can also reap the rewards of the high open rates, immediacy, and short and snappy nature of SMS marketing.
If an SMS marketing campaign strategy is something you’re looking for, here at Magnet Monster, our expert team has delved into this realm over the years and provided some lasting case studies that we’d love for you to check out. Book a discovery call today to see if we’re the right fit to help you reach your marketing goals!
Enjoyed this article? Follow me on LinkedIn, and don't forget to join 2,000+ hungry D2C enthusiasts who lap up our CEO Adam Kitchen's weekly insider insights on eCommerce email marketing.
Related Reads Handpicked for You
- Data series: Part 1: Using Google Analytics to enhance your email/SMS strategy
- Data series Part 3: Using competitor analysis to enhance your email/SMS strategy
- Exploring The Most Effective SMS Marketing Ideas
- What Is The Best SMS Marketing Platform?
- Conversational Email and SMS: Examples and Strategies
- SMS Vs Email Marketing: The Key Differences
- 5 Ways to build your SMS List
- Benefits of SMS Marketing For Your Business
- Conversational Email and SMS: Examples and Strategies
- How Does SMS Marketing Work?
- Klaviyo SMS Masterclass with Nevin Jain
- Klaviyo SMS Marketing Explained
- The Key Advantages Of SMS Marketing
further in depth reading
This is a collection of articles that will provide you with more information about our FREE email marketing course.